Think back on all the places you have worked. As an employee, which one provided the best possible experience? If the reason you enjoyed working somewhere was because of your boss, it was most likely because they were great at communicating with you.
One of the most integral aspects of a thriving workplace is communication. At its root, communication ensures everyone is happy with the company and their current role. Without effective communication, teams could miss deadlines, misunderstand the project, and fall behind.
Part of having successful communication in the workplace is having a boss who knows how to get everyone on the same page. They are the leader who helps push everyone to succeed and gives them the motivation to be better every day.
A good leader is not born overnight. It takes years to master the communication skills to communicate with your team members and keep them connected. A recent McKinsey report showed well-connected teams saw a 20% to 25% increase in productivity thanks to a leader with keen communication skills.
However, it’s easy to forget the manager needs motivation and communication, too! One of the best ways to do this is with quotes for your boss that show your appreciation. These quotes are quick and easy ways to remind your boss or manager that all the hard work they do doesn’t go unnoticed.
We’re here to walk you through why communication is important and what management can do specifically to improve it.
Why communication is important
There are several reasons communication is important in the workplace. For starters, it can help improve the retention rate. If people enjoy working for your company and, specifically, with their boss, they are more likely to stay with your company for years to come. One survey suggested 54% of employees think a strong sense of community kept them at a company. This is created through effectively communicating with others, such as by celebrating milestones, encouraging collaboration, and simply striving to make the workplace enjoyable for everyone.
Communication also helps increase productivity so employees produce higher-quality work. A leader with strong communication skills can turn any project into something exciting. If employees enjoy where they work and the people they work with, they are more likely to come to work excited to take on new projects. It’s the manager’s job to foster these connections among coworkers to help them collaborate more effectively.
If you have a boss or manager who does all these things, you must try your best to improve the communication on the employee side, too, whether that be asking for feedback, communicating on a personal level, or just showing them that you appreciate their presence.
Bottom line: If you can make the workplace enjoyable, you can enhance the experience for everyone.
How bosses can better interact with employees
Effective communication doesn't happen overnight; it’s built into your everyday workweek by making small changes that lead to big impacts.
If you’re a boss, here are a few ways you can better interact with your employees and improve the communication in the workplace:
- Schedule quarterly check-ins with employees.
- Plan out timely one-on-one meetings with individuals.
- Create a company culture that values transparency and communication.
- Schedule engagement events among team members.
- Improve your employee onboarding experience.
- Treat employees as more than just employees.
It’s not easy juggling workweek tasks and being a good leader for your employees. It takes time and dedication to communicate with others. If you have a great manager in your workplace, it’s time to show them you appreciate them by utilizing a thoughtful quote.
We put together a list of the top 20 workplace quotes that you can send to your boss to show your appreciation. We recommend using these as a template in your work chat or emails.
20 appreciation quotes for boss
- Your words of encouragement and guidance are what keep us all going in the workplace! I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we appreciate everything you do for us.
- You’re more than just a manager; you’re a born leader! Thank you for being my boss.
- Thank you for helping me push through [INSERT NAME OF PROJECT]. It wasn’t easy! But with you by my side, it felt easier than it was.
- Thanks for being a manager, mentor, and friend to everyone here! I appreciate your guidance and open communication with all of us.
- Thank you for being open to new ideas and allowing us to take the reins on this project. It means a lot to me that you trust us to make the right decision.
- I don’t say this enough, but thank you for investing your time and energy into me! I appreciate having you as my boss.
- Thank you for taking the time to hear my ideas and take all of them into consideration. It feels good to be heard!
- Without you, I don't know where I would be! Thank you for being there through the good and bad.
- I feel lucky to have a boss who is transparent, caring, and always there for me. Thanks for being not only a great mentor, but a friend, as well.
- You’re an inspiration in the workplace and push me to do my best every day!
- Thank you for helping me see what I did wrong recently and guiding me through the challenge. I learned more from the experience than you will ever know!
- Since the day I started working for you, I’ve noticed myself changing and developing into the working professional I’ve always wanted to be. Thank you for always being there!
- To be honest, I’m not sure where any of us would be without you! Thank you for helping lead the way and always bringing positivity to the workplace.
- All my success throughout this year is thanks to you! Thank you for being there for me when I needed it most. You’re a great boss!
- I feel lucky to have had a mentor like you throughout this past year. Thank you for showing me what it takes to be a real leader in the workplace. Your compassion for others never goes unnoticed!
- Your words of motivation motivate me to do better every day! Thanks for being a great boss for our team.
- Thank you for helping me never lose sight of the goal. I’m not sure where any of us would be without a boss like you.
- Thank you for being such a good manager and showing me what it means to be a true leader.
- You’re the one who keeps us all afloat! Thanks for being there for us.
- Where would we be without you? I don’t think any of us want to find out!
Managing a workforce is never easy. As an employee, if you take the time to show your boss or manager they are appreciated, it can help improve the entire workplace ecosystem.
Quotes for the boss are more than just words; they show them you genuinely appreciate their contribution to the workplace and make your job more enjoyable. They can also help strengthen the relationship and create a company culture that is based on the foundation of positivity.
Don’t wait to tell your boss you appreciate them in your next one-on-one meeting; send them one of these quotes today. Thanking them will go much further than you think and help create the workplace you’ve always wanted.